Monday, October 18, 2004

A Little Known Fact About Paul "Libraries Hate Me" Hammond:

This fact is available only through the Team Willow weblog.

A bizarre prophecy must have been foretold sometime in the near-distant past, which has been time-proven to be 100% accurate in my last four years in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I have never, not once, ever visited, or had to visit the Killam Library on a day that it wasn't pouring rain outside. That may not sound like much at first, but consider it:

In four whole years, I've visited that library numerous times. Not as much as I should, but having the NSCAD Library at my disposal, and in closer proximity, I've got my excuses. (Well, that, and copious amounts of television shows on DVD in my livingroom) Regardless, without fail, every last time, no matter what the season, no matter what the previous weather conditions that day, within half an hour of my deciding to go to the Killam Library, buckets of wet, wet rain will start to pour from the sky.

Although I can't seem to find a reasonable explanation for this strange phenomenon, I can attest that I have yet to see the formula fail. So accurate is it that today, at around 3:00pm, as I looked outside at the bright blue sky, and thought to myself "I really need to go to the library today" I thought also "This might be it. This might be the day that the curse is broken." I reveled in that idea for the better part of an hour, imagining myself waltzing up to the doors of the Killam Library, wearing nothing but a light fall jacket, dry as a bone.

But I was rash in my excitement. Now, just 10 minutes before I have to leave, to walk down Robie Street for twenty minutes to that ill-fated building, it's actually starting to rain. Not just rain. Pour.

And the prophecy grows ever stronger.

EDIT: My luck may just have changed. Not two minutes before I was out the door, the rain stopped. Entirely. I was understandably skeptical, bearing in mind my rainy-library history, but I remained dry the entire walk there. And equally dry on the walk home. Could the Library-Curse be... lifted?

Also: In light of his formidable library skills, and beloved 'wicked pal' status, I would like to hereby declare Mark 'Footbag' Black The Most Awesomest Ever! In case you didn't already know that.